Welcome to asWedit
asWedit is a comprehensive and easy to use HTML and text editor for
X Window System and Motif. It offers three independent modes:
a plain text editing mode and two context-sensitive, validating modes
for authoring of HyperText Markup Language documents as used on the
Internet and intranets.
05 August 1998
20 March 1999 (Linux only bug fixes v. 4.0.1)
asWedit is available for free for students and staff in education and
charitable non-profit organizations (non-commercial usage only), and for
free evaluation by individuals and commercial organizations. See the
license for details.
- asWedit is available in binary form by anonymous ftp and via http from:
The software is mirrored on many archives including the following:
(Note: the links above point to the current mirror site)
Support for other x86 based systems:
UnixWare users can use the binary-compatible "i386.sco" version.
- Free BSD users can obtain a version for their system from the ELF
"i386.linux" version by
applying the following or similar transformation:
brandelf -t Linux asWedit
(the linux_lib package must be installed).
To obtain the binary distribution please download the gzip-compressed tar file
for your platform and then unpack it (with the exception of the Linux Debian distribution, for which
the standard Debian installation tools should be used after downloading).
For example for IRIX 5 download
the file asWedit-4.0-sgi.irix5.tar.gz. To unpack it you can use the
gzip -dc asWedit-4.0-sgi.irix5.tar.gz | tar xvf -
(the distribution will be placed into asWedit-4.0 directory).
If you want to use a localized version please download a resource file, appropriate for your language,
from the i18n-resources directory. For
example, to get the German resources please download the following file:
NOTE about gzip format.
As of version 3.0, asWedit is distributed in this,
well compressed format. If you do not have this program yet, you should
consider getting it. It is readily available as pre-built binaries for
many systems as well as in a source form on the Internet. Alternatively,
many servers will uncompress gzip-ed files "on-the-fly" when you do not
give the ".gz" extension (this will however increase significantly the
amount of data transferred and is not recommended).
When you obtain the software please read and accept the terms of the
Please read the installation information contained in the INSTALL file.
NOTE: below the asterisk (*) means a completely new or dramatically improved feature in ver. 4.0.
- * context-sensitive HTML 4.0 Transitional and HTML 4.0 Frameset modes;
only tags valid in the current context are available
- * full support for all HTML tags and attributes based on the HTML 4.0
specification by W3C
- * creation of correct HTML documents (according to the DTD's)
- support for different styles of editing: assistive tagging, cut and
paste, by hand and parse
- very fast parser (important for big documents)
- display of the current HTML context
- commands for finding and selecting the parent and child SGML elements
- attribute editors
- graphical options menus for selected attributes, like align
- command to replace the current container element with another
one (e.g. H1 with H2)
- separate target command
- dialogs for selecting relative and absolute URL's
- special link dialog allowing creation of hyperlinks and the
destination anchors in one step
- auto insert of image width and height (GIF, JPEG & PNG)
- * customizable colors for different HTML tags
- text to table and to list converters
- table of contents generator
- HTML tag flexible report tool
- ready to use and test Form examples
- customizable dialog for selecting and customizing of colors
- spell that skips HTML tags
- rich set of entities, including Latin 1, Greek and user-defined ones
- keyboard shortcuts for many HTML tags
- user definable, mode dependent, key bindings
- automatic hex-encoding of typed special characters in URL's
- filters to convert between Latin 1 characters and their
- support for unlimited number of templates
- * comprehensive context-sensitive, hypertext help with topics
on a selected tag and edited attribute (version related)
- on-line hints when importing and correcting legacy HTML documents
- auto correction of invalid HTML documents
- preview mode that uses Netscape Navigator, NCSA Mosaic, Arena or Lynx
(interprocess communication is used for Netscape and Mosaic)
- new 10 times faster preview mode for Netscape Navigator
Localized resource files are available for the following languages:
English (default), Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Polish,
Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish. Commands and messages are localized for
each language but the on-line help is available only in English (U.S.).
Some localizations are incomplete though, especially in the HTML modes.
- international release (versions for 10 languages)
- modern graphical user interface (GUI)
- multiple editing windows
- user customizable pop-up menus for mouse-oriented editing and
features' quick access
- * user customizable toolbars with fly-by hints for icons
- * nice insensitive icons
- many keyboard shortcuts
- split window functionality
- * comprehensive context sensitive and click-on hypertext on-line help
(now the hyperlinks are in color)
- multiple undo and redo of edit actions
- all standard editing features like: text Cut, Copy and Paste,
bookmarks, pair matching, search and replace, etc.
- commands to change case of letters, spell and sort
- formatting commands (move, indent, re-format etc.)
- auto positioning of dialogs under the pointer (less mouse movements)
- user customizable filters and commands
- customization via the standard X11/Motif resources method
- easy localization to left-to-right languages (8-bit characters)
- * special no HTML mode for quick start-up and plain text editing
(startup time was reduced by 40% in all modes)
More information, including details about ASWedit - the commercial
version of asWedit - is available on the AdvaSoft Web site:
Commercial information about ASWedit can also be requested by sending
E-mail to: email@example.com .